Adding four-legged companions to our families can bring to the surface many challenges. What should you do to train your pooch with effective results? In our “Back to School” guide, we’ll teach you everything you need to know to house-train your pup. Let’s dive in!
What At-Home Puppy Training Requires
There are many things to teach your new furry friend. It’s essential to note that basic training will begin as soon as you bring them home. With that in mind, here are some tips for you to remember as you begin this journey.
- Practice Patience. First and foremost, your puppy will be curious and energetic, with a limited understanding of rules in the beginning. Remember to practice patience as you teach them new rules. Training won’t happen overnight, so keep this in mind while you are promoting good habits.
- Supervision. Be attentive to your puppy and supervise their behavior. Introduce crate training as a tool to enhance house training. Crates are beneficial for you and your dog. This is because they offer a safe space for your dog, promote household safety, and prevent accidents.
- Schedule a Routine. Just like with babies, routines are essential for puppies. Establish a routine for their feeding, playtime, crating, and bathroom breaks. A consistent schedule will help your pooch feel secure in their new environment.
- Teach Lessons. Remember that every interaction, like greeting them, walking them, and taking them to new places, is an opportunity to teach your pup. For the best results, train your puppy when they are well-rested. Until your puppy is fully house trained, all your interactions will demonstrate what is acceptable behavior to them.
- Training Cues. Use basic cue words, such as “go potty,” consistently to begin training. Cue words will help your puppy associate words with behaviors. Likewise, cue words are the foundation used to help your dog master commands.
- Reward Good Behavior. Use positive reinforcement, such as praise, petting, and treats, to reward training behaviors. Training with rewards will encourage a love of learning in your dog.
- Celebrate Milestones. When your puppy is going through their stages of development, celebrate their success. Enjoy a lifetime of good canine companionship by appreciating their small achievements.
- Find a Dog Trainer. Need extra assistance? Look for a professional dog trainer to help guide your puppy through obedience training. A great dog trainer plays an essential role in the foundation of your pooch’s behavior and development. They can also help your puppy learn basic house training.
How to House Train A Puppy
While this list is not all-inclusive, these are suggestions to help set the stage for a well-mannered adult dog.
All in all, house training your new best friend will require a lot of time and effort. A consistent schedule, positive reinforcement, supervision, and lots of support will be needed as they grow into obedient dogs.
Finding Puppy Training Near Me
There are plenty of ways to find puppy training near you. First, conduct an internet search to help you find professional dog trainers or training facilities in your area. You can also reach out to your vet to ask for recommendations. Lastly, pet stores are also a great resource for information about local training programs.
When in doubt, reach out to Get Joy’s virtual licensed vet experts. Our team of experts is available to offer pet advice to you 24 hours a day. That way, your questions will get answered from anywhere, at any time!
Prioritize Pet Wellness with Get Joy
At Get Joy, our mission is to help families through pet health and wellness. We’re here to support you and your puppy through various resources, services, fresh meals, and virtual professional support.Ready to get started? Check out our shop today!