Holistic pet care refers to treating your canine companion using a balanced approach, incorporating several different practices. A holistic approach includes proper nutrition, regular exercise, mental stimulation, socialization, and emotional well-being for your dog. In this guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know about holistic pet care for your beloved dog. Let’s take a look!
Holistic Practices of Pet Care To Consider
Over the years, holistic pet care has been gaining popularity. Pet owners are exploring alternative treatments to address injury and illness in their dogs. Here are some therapies that people commonly choose to include in the overall care of their dogs.
- Massage Therapy. Gentle, hands-on massage is highly beneficial for your dog. Not only does it strengthen the human-animal connection, but it also promotes relaxation and relieves stress for your pooch. You can also consider a trained animal massage therapist for a professional massage.
- Reiki. Reiki is a Japanese method of healing touch used for humans and animals. When used on your dog, Reiki encourages deep relaxation and balance. Animal Reiki may also alleviate stress for dogs.
- Acupuncture. Acupuncture has origins in Chinese medicine and utilizes thin needles in the body as a technique to relieve pain and promote the flow of energy, also known as “qi.” Research indicates that acupuncture can improve the overall quality of life for pets.
- Aromatherapy. Aromatherapy uses essential oils to improve a dog’s overall well-being. Aromatherapy has been found to help anxious dogs, as they help calm nerves and regulate emotions. Some combinations of pure essential oils can produce anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, or antiviral effects.
- Chiropractic Treatments. Chiropractic care is used to help dogs alleviate any pain and stiffness. Dog chiropractors can address any musculoskeletal issues through manual manipulation of the dog’s spine and bones.
- Hydrotherapy. Hydrotherapy uses water exercises to treat conditions. Hydrotherapy is recommended for dogs as a treatment to recover from injury and improve joint health. It also helps to reduce inflammation, improve muscle mass, and reduce stress.
- Herbal Medicine. Originating from Chinese medicine, the use of natural herbs for dogs is used to support general wellness. Modern practitioners of Chinese medicine recommend the use of herbal treatment for dogs in conjunction with Western vet medicine.
- Nutritional Therapy. Providing a healthy diet with nutrient-dense food will prolong your dog’s overall health. After all, healthy meals stabilize their health and aid their well-being.
As with all new treatments, make sure to consult with your vet to ensure that they are suitable for your beloved dog. Remember that these practices are meant to complement vet care and not replace it.
Choosing the Holistic Route For Pets
The most important pillar of wellness for dogs is their nutrition. Dog food and nutrition impact their physical and behavioral health. Therefore, a balanced and nutritious diet plays an essential role in their overall health and well-being.
Regular exercise, mental stimulation, emotional support, and socialization are other measures that contribute to their happiness. Overall, a holistic approach considers various aspects of lifestyle.
When it comes to your dog, opt for the best possible care for them. As responsible pet owners, choose to give your pups a high-quality lifestyle. That way, they’ll enjoy their life so that we, too, can enjoy our canine companionship for years to come!
Pet Health and Wellness with Get Joy
At Get Joy, we know how much your dog’s health means to you. We want to help you and your dog with high-quality care.
The mission of Get Joy is to support you and your family through pet health and wellness. Our fresh meal program, health services, and resources were created so that you can access them at any time. Get started today!