Bully sticks, also known as “beef sticks,” are a single-ingredient dog chew made from beef muscle. They are a popular treat for canines for several reasons. Let’s take a look at the historical origins of this natural dog treat and why they are still an appropriate choice for dogs today.
Early Utilization of Bully Sticks For Dogs
So, how far back were our canine’s wolf ancestors snacking on bully sticks? Turns out that they have been used for centuries and can be traced as far back as nomadic cultures. In fact, countries within South America and India were among the first to utilize bully sticks for dogs.
What Are The Benefits of A Bully Stick?
There are several benefits to a bully stick. Nomadic cultures first discovered these benefits through drying and preserving beef muscle. Here is a list of what makes these edible chews such a popular choice for our furry friends!
- Digestibility. Bully sticks have a natural composition, making them easy to digest in your dog’s stomach. They also have a fibrous texture, which allows for easy passage in their digestive tract for dogs of all sizes and breeds.
- Single-ingredient. Being that they have a single ingredient, high-protein beef muscle, they are a preferred option over processed chews and treats. Bully sticks offer the possibility of a nutritious dog chew.
- Allergy-friendly. Another great benefit of bully sticks is its reduced risk of allergies. Since they are made from a single ingredient, these treats are great for canines with food sensitivities and allergies.
- Oral hygiene. Want to give your dog good dental health? Bully sticks promote that, too! When dogs chew on bully sticks, the texture of the treat helps to scrape away plaque. Chewing also stimulates saliva production, helping decrease bad bacteria in the mouth.
- Entertainment. Bully sticks are ideal for keeping dogs occupied and entertained. Chewing on these treats is not only beneficial for health reasons but also to prevent your dog from munching on valuable home items and furniture.
- Safe and natural. Unlike other dog chews, bully sticks don’t splinter in the digestive tract, effectively making them safe to digest. The natural method used to create bully sticks makes them a beneficial option for all dogs.
- Versatility. Bully sticks come in many sizes, shapes, and variations, making them suitable for dogs of any age, size, or breed. As with any dog treat, make sure to consult with your veterinarian before introducing bully sticks into your dog’s dietary routine.
- Balanced Nutrition. Bully sticks are low in fat and high in protein. This nutritional profile makes them a healthier option for dogs.
Best Bully Sticks For Your Canine
While bully sticks are suitable for many dogs, your beloved canine’s individual preference should be considered when purchasing these treats. However, there are some factors to keep in mind when choosing high-quality bully sticks.
For example, opt for single-ingredient chews. Processed chews often contain harmful additives. Other important considerations are the specific brand, size, and digestibility of the treat.
Of course, it is always important to supervise your dog while they enjoy bully sticks. Remember that any specific concerns regarding these treats should be consulted with your vet.
Consider Chews From Get Joy!
At Get Joy, we take pet wellness seriously. That’s why we offer nutritious and accessible meals for your beloved canine. In addition to our stellar chews, we also have single-ingredient freeze dried treats that you can reward your loyal companion with.
Need advice on pet wellness? Get Joy also offers on-demand virtual vet services. Connect with one of our licensed vet experts today to help you get started!